back to LRTICo.com twitter icon facebook icon LinkedIn icon

June 24, 2015

Scam "topfarmproduce.com" targeting web designers

My hope is by writing this I can spread the word and help fellow designers avoid being scammed.

The bait...

I received this email from my website's contact form:

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Smarty Truck wrote: 
full_name : david
email : davidlewis957@gmail.com 
Message : Hello, i would like to know if you do web design and do you accept credit card for payment??

After my quick reply basically saying yes, I received this email:

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:42 AM, David Lewis wrote:
Hello, Here is the job details I have small scale business which i want to turn into large scale business now it located in usa and the company is based on importing and exporting of Agriculture products such as Kola Nut, Gacillia Nut and Cocoa so i need a best of the best layout design for it. Can you handle that for me ?. so i need you to check out this site but i need something more perfect than this if its possible

Here is the Site themeforest.net..... the site would only be informational, so i need you to give me an estimate based on the site i gave you to check out, the estimate should include hosting and i want the same page as the site i gave you to check out and i have a private project consultant, he has the text content and the logos for the site.



The catch...

The scam is the person sends me "his/her" credit card number which I then run and proceed to send a chunk to the person who is holding the content.

The illegal part...

The credit card is stolen, running it and sending money to someone is laundering essentially. So while the job seemed to be fairly easy and a nice chunk of change, like Lietenant Aldo Raine from the movie "Inglorious Bastards" said to Col. Hans Landa, "I've done my share of bootlegging. Up 'ere, if you engage in what the federal government calls 'illegal activity,' but what we call 'just a man tryin' to make a livin' for his family sellin' moonshine liquor,' it behooves oneself to keep his wits. Long story short, we hear a story too good to be true... it ain't. "

Luckily my spidey sense went off and thanks to Zachary Ball at http://www.hgstudio.com who confirmed my suspicions, I avoided doing any business with this scammer. Shame on them for wasting designers time and money.

More proof courtesy of Google:
http://blog.ihenix.com/nearly-got-scammed/

No comments:

Post a Comment